The 70th Cannes Film Festival takes place from 17 - 28 May, 2017. In total, twenty Creative Europe MEDIA supported films will screen in the festival's official selection including one Irish film, The Killing of a Sacred Deer. Many other Irish films will screen in the Marche du Film including the Irish documentaries, School Life and The Farthest.
MEDIA FILMS In Competition
- Happy End | A French drama by Michael Haneke set in Calais with the European refugee crisis as the backdrop.
- Rodin | Drama by Jacques Doillon about French sculptor Auguste Rodin and his relationship with Camille Claudel, a gifted young artist.
- The Killing of a Sacred Deer | Yorgos Lanthimos's psychological thriller about a teenager's attempts to bring a brilliant surgeon into his dysfunctional family.
- Ismael's Ghosts | A filmmaker's life decends into chaos when a former lover returns just as he is about to shoot a new film.
- Le Redoutable | During the making of one of his films, French director Jean-Luc Godard falls in love with seventeen year old actress, Anne Wiazemsky.
- A Gentle Creature | Based on Dostoyevsky’s short story, Sergei Loznitsa's film explores a world of crime without punishment.
- Jupiter's Moon | Hungarian drama about a young immigrant, shot down while illegally crossing the border, who finds that he able to levitate at will.
- The Square | Swedish drama about a gathering at city square, where there are no rules.
Un Certain Regard
- Waiting for the Swallows
- Apres la guerre (Dopo la Guerra)
- The Summit (La Cordillera)
- Demons in Paradise
- Becoming Cary Grant
- The Intruder (L'Intrusa)
- Otez-moi d'un doute
Semaine de la Critique
- Los perros
- Sicilian Ghost Story
For information on MEDIA events at Cannes see here.