Cultural Adaptations is a co-operation project funded by Creative Europe programme that will run from October 2018 to March 2021 led by Creative Carbon Scotland. The project will focus on culture’s role in society’s adaptation to climate change and on issues that cultural organisations themselves need to think about.
Four cultural organisations will explore collaboratively how this approach can work in countries with similar climate challenges but differing socio-political frameworks. Each Cultural Partner is working with a local Adaptation Partner on the project:
- Creative Carbon Scotland will work with Sniffer and the Climate Ready Clyde Project
- Axis (Ireland) will be working with Codema, Dublin’s regional energy agency
- Greentrack Gent (Belgium) with the City of Ghent local authority; and
- TILLT (Sweden) with the City of Gothenburg local authority.
Local Cultural Adaptation Activities
Over the 30-month project, each partner pairing will:
- Develop a methodology for local cultural SMEs to enable them to develop and implement climate change adaptation strategies.
- Explore how artists can help provide new ways of thinking, fresh perspectives and different approaches to the challenges of adapting to climate change.
- Place an artist in an adaptation project as an embedded artist project.
- Organise a meeting and workshop for all the partners to disseminate the methodology to local cultural managers.
- International Conference, Scotland in October 2020 to bring together and disseminate the cumulative project learning.
- Creative Carbon Scotland will produce a Toolkit and supporting Digital Resource to enable cultural and adaptation actors across Europe and further afield to develop their own Adaptation Strategies and benefit wider society by running Embedded Artist projects.
Keep an eye on Axis Ballymun website and here for news of local events and artist opportunities under the Cultural Adaptations banner!