2018 has been designated as the European Year of Cultural Heritage (EYCH) by the EU Commission. The theme for the year in Ireland is 'Make A Connection' which aims to deepen the connection between people and heritage, and build a legacy of increased public engagement.
National Heritage Week is part of European Heritage Days. These are a joint initiative of the Council of Europe and the European Union in which over forty countries participate each year. The main aim of European Heritage Days are to promote awareness of our built, natural and cultural heritage and to promote Europe’s common cultural heritage. Every year millions of Europeans visit historical monuments and sites throughout Europe on European Heritage Days.
GET INVOLVED & APPLY FOR EYCH LABEL
The Irish Co-ordinator for #EYCH2018 is The Heritage Council and they are seeking heritage initiatives – existing and new – planned for 2018 which meet the objectives of the European Year of Cultural Heritage. Find out how to apply for the EYCH label for your event here.
HERITAGE WEEK IRELAND | 18-26 August 2018
Each year, during HERITAGE WEEK in the last week of August, many national and hundreds of local community organisations participate by organising events throughout the country. Many of the events that take place during the week are free and the programme highlights the abundance of great work that is carried out in all communities in Ireland to preserve and promote our natural, built and cultural heritage.
EXAMPLES OF HERITAGE WEEK EVENTS NATIONWIDE
- Wexford Walled Town Medieval Day | 18 August, 1pm - 5pm | Wexford, On the Green Area, behind the Westgate Tower/Heritage Centre
- 'Are You Going For A Mineral?' | 24 August, 7:30pm - 8:30pm, Donegal County Museum. BOOKING REQUIRED.
- Storyland | 18, 19, 22 August, 10am - 5pm, Una D'Arcy, The Village of Fore, Co. Westmeath
- Emigrant Story Collecting Weekend | 18 - 19 August, 10am - 5pm | EPIC The Irish Emigration Museum, CHQ Building, Custom House Quay, Dublin 1. They would especially like to hear from new Irish communities.
- Lace-Making Class | 20 - 21 August, 10:30am - 12:30pm, Limerick Archives, City Hall, Merchant's Quay, Limerick. BOOKING REQUIRED.
Check out Heritage Week listings here and make sure to book early for those events that require it!