Culture Moves Europe Call for Residency Hosts
This call is now closed
Update: the 3rd call for residency hosts will open in early spring 2024.
The second Culture Moves Europe call for residency hosts provides financial support to organisations and artists registered as legal entities working in the sectors of music, literature, architecture, cultural heritage, design and fashion design, visual arts, and performing arts. Legal entities can be non-profit organisations, non-governmental organisations, public bodies, foundations, companies, or self-employed persons.
The residency project should pursue two of the following objectives:
- Explore: conduct research, to investigate and work on a specific theme or a new concept.
- Create: engage in a collective creative process seeking to produce a new piece of artistic/cultural work.
- Learn: enhance the participants’ competences and skills through non-formal learning or collaboration with a specialist.
- Connect: develop a professional network, to strengthen the participants’ professional development, to engage with new audiences.
- Transform: contribute to societal change in line with the New European Bauhaus values and principles.
- The residency action supports legal entities that are registered and based in one of the 40 Creative Europe countries.
- It supports them to welcome up to 5 international artists and cultural professionals for a residency project lasting between 22 and 300 days.
- The participants must be at least 18 years old and legal residents of other Creative Europe countries. The grant contributes to the costs of inviting and hosting international artists and cultural professionals.
The residency grant is compiled of two parts:
- the hosting allowance, which is allocated to the host.
- daily allowances, travel allowances and top-ups, which are allocated to each participant based on individual travel plans and needs.
- The grant calculations are made specifically for each beneficiary, based on their project and participants’ personal situation. The entire residency grant is transferred to the residency host, who is responsible for distributing the corresponding amounts to each participant.
- Residency hosts can receive several grants under the Culture Moves Europe residency action, as long as it is for different projects with different participating artists and cultural professionals. However, applications are limited to one per call period.
- Hosting allowance: €35 per participant, per day. It is a contribution to expenses related to the implementation of the residency project, such as accommodation for the participants, mentor fees, renting equipment, etc..
- Allowances allocated to each participant
- Daily allowance: €25 per person per day. It is a contribution to food, local transport, etc.
- Travel allowance
- Travel distance under 5,000 km: €350 per person for round-trip.
- Travel distance from 5,000 km: €700 per person for round-trip.
- For short distances of under 600 km, travelling by airplane is only allowed in exceptional and well justified cases:
- for persons with disabilities
- for travelling from or to an island with no ferry connections
- due to force majeure or grave personal circumstances
- The distance between the participant’s place of residence and the host’s location is calculated automatically in the online application process. Check the distance calculator for more information.
- Green top-up: €350 per person for choosing not to travel by airplane (round-trip). Only applicable for distances of 600 km and more.
- Overseas Countries and Territories or Outermost Regions top-up: €150 per person for travelling from or to Overseas Countries and Territories or Outermost Regions.
- Visa top-up: €80 per person for expenses related to visa processes.
- Family top-up: €100 per person for persons with children below the age of 10. The amount is fixed, regardless of the number of children.
- Disability support: Up to €75 per person per day. For people whose disabilities affect their ability to carry out the mobility project. Budget to be agreed with the Culture Moves Europe team according to individual needs.
- The top-ups can be added cumulatively: one person can receive several top-ups at the same time. Justification and proof for the required top-ups will be asked.
The application will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Does the host provide appropriate premisses and services to participants, e. g. housing, equipment, work environment?
- Is the selection process of the participating artists and cultural professionals well explained and justified?
- Does the host provide mentorship and a collaborative environment to the participants?
- Is the residency project relevant to the applicants’ work and activities, as well as to Culture Moves Europe’s objectives?
- Does the residency project have long-term impact and benefits?
- Does the project take sustainability and the environment into consideration?
- Download the 2nd Culture Moves Europe Residency Call Document which has all the necessary supporting information.
- As the Goethe-Institut is the institution implementing Culture Moves Europe, applications are processed through the Goethe-Application Portal. In order to apply please follow these steps:
- Create an account
- Register as a “company/enterprise”
- Select “Culture Moves Europe funding”
- Select “Call for Residency Hosts”
- Fill out the form. You can save and edit the form until the final submission
- The information contained in this website is for general information purposes only. The information is provided by Creative Europe Desk Ireland and while we endeavour to keep the information up to date and correct, we make no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability, suitability or availability with respect to the website or the information, products, services, or related graphics contained on the website for any purpose. Any reliance you place on such information is therefore strictly at your own risk. You can read our full Disclaimer here.