European Film Distribution
4pm Irish time
The European Film Distribution support shall encourage and support the wider transnational distribution of recent European films by providing funds to European distributors, based upon their performance on the market, for further reinvestment in
the acquisition, promotion and distribution (including online) of recent non-national European films.
- Improvement in the transnational distribution of recent non-national European films.
- Increase in the investment in the production, acquisition, promotion, theatrical and online distribution of non-national European films.
- Develop links between the production and distribution sector thus improving the competitive position of non-national European films.
- See the European Film Distribution Call document here for full details.
- Only applications by single applicants are allowed (single beneficiaries; affiliated entities and other participants are allowed, if needed).
- In order to be eligible, the applicants (beneficiaries and affiliated entities) must:
- be legal entities (public or private bodies)
- be established in one of the eligible countries:
- Creative Europe Participating Countries:
- EU Member States (including overseas countries and territories (OCTs))
- non-EU countries:
- listed EEA countries and countries associated to the Creative Europe Programme or countries which are in ongoing negotiations for an association agreement and where the agreement enters into force before grant signature (see the list here of Creative Europe participating countries).
- Be established in one of the countries participating in the MEDIA strand of the Creative Europe Programme and owned directly or indirectly, wholly or by majority participation, by nationals from such countries. When a company is publicly listed, the location of the stock exchange will in principle determine its nationality
- Be European companies active in the audiovisual sector as cinema / theatrical distributor involved in commercial activity designed to bring to the attention of a wide audience a film for the purpose of exploitation in cinema theatres. This shall be the principal activity of the company or division of the company. The cinema / theatrical distributor shall fulfil the following criteria:
1. be the holder of the theatrical distribution rights for the film in the country concerned;
2. carry out the theatrical distribution of the film in the country concerned (determine the release date, plan, control and execute the distribution and promotion campaign);
3. pay directly the associated distribution costs; and
4. be registered and have theatrical distribution operations in the country
- Please refer to the European Film Distribution Call document here for full details.
- There are two phases for the funded activities:
- 1) The generation of a potential fund which will be attributed according to the performance of the company on the European market.
- 2) The implementation of the action - the potential fund thus generated by each company must be reinvested in:
- the co-production of eligible non-national European films;
- the acquisition of distribution rights, for example by means of minimum guarantees, of eligible non-national European films;
- promotion, marketing and advertising on the market of eligible non-national European films both for theatrical and online releases.
- Please refer to the European Film Distribution Call document here for a detailed breakdown of eligibility and eligible admissions under Phase 1 and Phase 2.
- The potential fund generated will not exceed €1,000,000 per applicant.
- Shall the sum of all generated funds exceed the available budget, the potential fund of each distributor will be reduced proportionally. This reduction will not affect the eligibility of the potential funds that are reduced below the minimum availability thresholds detailed above.
- Please refer to the European Film Distribution Call document here for a detailed breakdown of the budget.
- Download the full European Film Distribution call document to check eligibility and requirements.
- Applications for this call will be processed through the European Commission's Funding & Tender Opportunities Portal (F&TP).
- There is detailed information on how to access the F&T Portal.
- See here for further information on how to apply.
- The information contained in this website is for general information purposes only. The information is provided by Creative Europe Desk Ireland and while we endeavour to keep the information up to date and correct, we make no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability, suitability or availability with respect to the website or the information, products, services, or related graphics contained on the website for any purpose. Any reliance you place on such information is therefore strictly at your own risk. You can read our full Disclaimer here.