The MEDIA Sub-Programme of Creative Europe supports the distribution and broadcasting of audiovisual works (fiction, documentary, animation, interactive programmes) and of European films on-line, in movie theatres and on television.
The MEDIA Sub-Programme provides financial support to European Cinema distributors for the distribution of non-national European films under two support mechanisms:
- The Selective Scheme
- The Automatic Scheme
Cinema Distribution - Automatic Scheme
The aim of the ‘automatic’ support scheme is to encourage and support the wider transnational distribution of recent European films by providing funds to Distributors, based upon their performance on the market, for further investment in new non national European films. The scheme also aims to encourage the development of links between the production and distribution sectors thus improving the competitive position of non-national European films and the competitiveness of European companies.
Distribution Automatic Support 2018 Call Deadline | Revised Deadline 08 November
- Revised Call Deadline to 8th November 2018 and timetable
- Section 9 – AWARD CRITERIA – Updated calculation tables
Distribution 2017 Reinvestment Stage Deadline | 01 August 2018
The total budget earmarked for the co-financing of projects is estimated at €19 million. The financial contribution of the EU cannot exceed 60% of the total eligible costs of the action.
Applicants must be European theatrical distribution companies, registered in one of the Member States of the European Union or of the countries participating in the MEDIA Sub-Programme of Creative Europe. The support is awarded in two stages.
- Generation stage - the generation of a potential fund proportional to the number of paying admission tickets sold for non-national European films during the relevant reference period up to a fixed ceiling per film and adjusted per country.
- Reinvestment stage - The potential fund thus generated must be reinvested in non-national European films: in co-production or distribution (minimum distribution guarantees, publishing, promotion and publicity costs)
All films eligible for reinvestment must:
- Be a recent work of fiction, animation or documentary (min. duration 60 minutes)
- Have first copyright established no earlier than 2014
- Not consist of alternative content (operas, concerts, performances), advertising, pornographic or racist material or advocate violence
- Have been majority produced by a producer/producers established in countries participating in the MEDIA sub-programme and be made with a significant participation by professionals from those countries.
How to Apply
- For information on how to apply to Creative Europe MEDIA Schemes go here.
- Detailed guidelines and other documents relating to the Selective Distribution 2018 here.
- Please pay particular attention to the list of Annexes to be attached to your application form!
We are here to help, so please do contact Creative Europe Desk Ireland – MEDIA Office or MEDIA Office Galway, if you have any questions regarding your application.