The MEDIA Sub-Programme of Creative Europe supports the distribution and broadcasting of audiovisual works (fiction, documentary, animation, interactive programmes) and of European films on-line, in movie theatres and on television. Financial support is available to European Cinema distributors and Sales Agents for the distribution of non-national European films under two support mechanisms:
- The Selective Scheme
- The Automatic Scheme
Cinema Distribution - Selective Scheme | 08 Jan 2019 & 04 June 2019
The Selective support scheme aims to foster the wider trans-national distribution of recent non-national European films by encouraging Sales Agents and theatrical distributors to invest in promotion and adequate distribution of non-national European films. The scheme also aims to encourage the development of links between the production and distribution sector thus improving the competitive position of non-national European films.
The total budget for the Call is estimated at €9.85 million. Approximately 25% of the budget will be allocated to films with a production budget of more than €10 million. Grants are available to fund distribution campaigns of non-national European films. Lump sums of between €10,000 and €150,000 will be awarded according to the country and the number of screens covered on the first week of release.
The applicants shall be a European sales agent company:
A European company acting as an intermediary agent for the producer, who specialises in the commercial exploitation of a film by marketing and licensing a film to distributors or other purchasers for foreign countries.
A European company is acompany owned, whether directly or by majority participation (i.e. majority of shares), by nationals of Member States of the European Union or nationals of the other European countries participating in the MEDIA Sub-programme and registered in one of these countries.
The sales agent must have been over the last 3 years the appointed sales agent of at least 3 films that have been theatrically released in at least 5 countries.
The sales agent must be appointed by the producer of the film by way of an international sales agreement providing for the right to sell the film in at least 15 countries participating in the MEDIA Sub-programme.
The activities to be funded are campaigns for the pan-European distribution of eligible European films, outside their country of origin, coordinated by the sales agent of the film.
A minimum of 7 different distributors must be attached to the project. Out of the 7 distributors: at least 3 from high/medium capacity countries and at least 2 from small/very small capacity countries
The film must be released for the costs to be eligible:
between 1st April 2019 and 1st October 2020 (first deadline)
between 1st October 2019 and 1st April 2021 (second deadline)
The film must comply with the following criteria:
- Be a work of fiction, animation or documentary (min. duration 60 minutes)
- Have its first copyright established no earlier than 2018
- Not consist of alternative content (operas, concerts, performances) or advertising, or include any pornographic or racist material
- Have a maximum production budget of €15 million
- Have been majority produced by a producer/producers established in countries participating in the MEDIA sub-programme and be made with the significant participation of professionals who are nationals/residents of those countries
How to Apply
- For information on how to apply to Creative Europe MEDIA Schemes go here.
- Detailed guidelines and documents relating to the Selective Distribution Scheme here.
- Please pay particular attention to the list of Annexes to be attached to your application form!
We are here to help, so please do contact Creative Europe Desk Ireland – MEDIA Office or MEDIA Office Galway, if you have any questions regarding your application.