Congratulations to Element Pictures on their 10 Nominations for The Favourite in the 2019 Oscars! The project received €50,000 MEDIA Single Project development funding as far back as 2003. The Favourite directed by Yorgos Lanthimos was nominated in ten categories, including Best Actress for Olivia Colman, Best Director and Best Original Screenplay. Here are the nominations in full:
- Best Picture Nomination
- Best Director | Yorgos Lanthimos
- Best Actress | Olivia Colman
- Best Supporting Actress | Rachel Weisz
- Best Supporting Actress | Emma Stone
- Best Cinematography | Robbie Ryan
- Best Screenplay | Deborah Davis & Tony McNamara
- Best Production Design | Fiona Crombie & Alice Fenton
- Best Costume Design | Sandy Powell
- Best Editing | Yorgos Mavropsaridi
The Favourite is showing on Irish screens nationwide now - don't miss it!
5 MEDIA FILMS GET 16 OSCAR NOMINATIONS!
- The Favourite | 10 Nominations
- Cold War | Best Foreign Language, Best Director and Cinematography
- Never Look Away | Best Foreign Language Film and Cinematography
- The Wife | Best Actress Glenn Close
- Border | Hair & Makeup
These five films were supported by Creative Europe MEDIA with over €1.9 million in development and distribution funding.
Cold War (Zimna Wojna) by Pawel Pawlikowski was nomiated in three categories - Best Director, Best Cinematography and Best Foreign Language Film. The Polish-French-UK co-production was supported by MEDIA with €1,148,699, mainly for its distribution in more than 26 territories.
The other title nominated to best foreign language film is Never Look Away (Werk ohne Autor) by Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck which was was supported by MEDIA with €4,594 for its distribution in Portugal.
Ali Abbasi’s Border (Gräns) is one of the nominees in the makeup and hairstyling section. This Danish-Swedish co-production was supported by MEDIA with €669,707 mainly for its distribution in 28 territories.
The Wife garnered a Best Actress nomination for Glenn Close. The film directed by Bjorn Runge received €40,000 from MEDIA under the Slate Development Scheme and €55,930 for its distribution in Belgium and the Netherlands.