Five MEDIA supported films were nominated in nine categories for the Golden Globes this year. Irish company Cartoon Saloon are up for Best Motion Picture, Animated for WOLFWALKERS. The film is the fourth animated feaure from the company to be supported by Creative Europe Slate Development Funding.
The importance of MEDIA's support to the distribution of European film is evident in the nominations. THE FATHER received the most nominations including Best Actor for Anthony Hopkins and Best Actress for Olivia Coleman. It received Film Sales Support (FSS) for Premieres from European Film Promotion. This funding is to support film marketing campaigns to countries outside of Europe.
Film Sales Support is currently available for digital promotion campaigns, including major international events that target overseas buyers. EFP have a current open call for digital promotion campaigns to secure the distribution and circulation of European films to countries outside of Europe which closes in June, 2021.
The MEDIA supported films nominated for Golden Globes 2021 are:
- Wolfwalkers for Best Motion Picture, Animated (MEDIA Slate Development Funding)
- DRUK (Another Round) for Best Motion Picture - Foreign Language (MEDIA Slate Funding, Selective Distribution and Automated Distribution)
- THE PERSONAL HISTORY OF DAVID COPPERFIELD for Best Actor in a Movie - Musical or Comedy for Dev Patel (MEDIA Distribution support)
- TWO OF US for Best Foreign Language Film (MEDIA Selective Distribution support)
- THE FATHER for Best Movie Drama; Best Actor in a Motion Picture Drama, Anthony Hopkins; Best Supporting Actress in a Movie, Olivia Colman. Best Movie Screenplay for Florian Zeller & Christopher Hampton. (Supported by MEDIA Film Sales Support for Premieres via European Film Promotion).