The European Commission has launched a €1.5m Call for proposals to create innovative cultural hubs around cinema theatres in areas where there is limited cinema and cultural infrastructure and where the the Covid 19 crisis has had a very strong impact. The Covid 19 pandemic has deeply affected the cinemas and has changed the cinema going experience in a dramatic way.
Local cinemas bring communities together, enhancing local cultural life, and play an important social inclusion role. They provide education opportunities and contribute to the local economy. Their cultural, social and economic impact should be revamped after the disruption of the Covid 19 crisis. However, the pandemic crisis will require new instruments of interaction and new business models for exhibitors and communities around cinemas.
This action aims to create an appetite for the best European audiovisual and cultural content - including feature films, concerts, opera, TV series, animation, documentaries, heritage films, short formats and innovative content like VR - by attracting audiences to cultural hubs.
The preparatory action will test new cinema-going experiences while taking into account local audiences’ needs. Applications should focus on:
- Rethinking the cinema experience in the aftermath of the pandemic crisis with a view of creating innovative cultural venues in particular with cooperation between cinemas and VOD platforms;
- Audience development and building communities through interactive experiences by offering a wide range of cultural and educational activities.
The expected results of this action are:
- Creation of innovative cultural hubs centred around cinema theatres, involving collaboration between cinema theatres as well as with other operators across the cultural and creative sectors, including online platforms;
- New business models to engage with existing audiences and to reach out to new audiences (especially young people), by offering quality and diverse European creative content (audiovisual and other types of cultural content) as well as educational activities (i.e. film education, media literacy);
- Innovation regarding the cinematic experience leading up to the development of new cultural experience models / in particular in areas with limited cinema /cultural infrastructure or areas particularly affected by the COVID 19 pandemic crisis;
- Support the social and economic development of local communities through innovative actions that take into account the effects of the pandemic crisis and revitalise the cinema experience both in its real and virtual dimension;
- Enhance cross-border collaboration among cinema operators as well as between cinemas, VOD platforms and other cultural organisations, including in areas with limited cinema infrastructure or areas particularly affected by the COVID 19 pandemic crisis.
The deadline for this Call is 7th August, 2020. For more information and all related documentation click here. If you have any queries on this or other calls, please do contact our offices for help and advice.
Creative Europe Desk Ireland - MEDIA Office Dublin
Orla Clancy: email@example.com
Phone 01 6791856 - please leave a message and we will get back to you as soon as we can.
Creative Europe Desk Ireland - MEDIA Office Galway
Eibhlín Ní Mhunghaile: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone 091 770728 - please leave a message and we will get back to you as soon as we can.