Your guide to all the MEDIA digital events at Cannes Film Festival including: a European Film Forum; MEDIA showcases; online meetings; and MEDIA films included in the festival screenings.
MEDIA Virtual Stand
The European Commission has supported a MEDIA stand within the Marché du Film of Cannes since 1991. The MEDIA stand, also called the “House of Europe”, has grown over the years as an important space and tool to promote the European creative industry by hosting roundtables, meetings and networking events with European audiovisual professionals and to promote European policies for the audiovisual sector.
This year it will have to be different but we could not afford to miss such a crucial occasion to interact with stakeholders. For this reason, MEDIA has developed a virtual stand on the market’s platform. It is only accessible for accredited participants attending the festival, but it will serve the audiovisual community as a one-stop-shop to get information about what MEDIA offers in terms of funding and to communicate and promote MEDIA activities during the festival.
MEDIA Digital Events
The programme of MEDIA from 22 to 26 of June will be based on digital interactions and will focus on the challenges faced by the industry during and after the COVID-19 crisis. The events planned for that week are:
- A digital European Film Forum: this conference, on Monday 22nd June at 3pm IRISH TIME. An opportunity to assess the current situation, to work on a common vision of the audiovisual ecosystem and on how to strengthen it, and to discuss the role of the European Union in this new landscape.
- Online Showcases: Hosted in the MEDIA virtual stand but streamed also to the wider public through social media, MEDIA has organised four different showcases taking place daily from 23 to 26 June at 4pm IRISH TIME. Industry professionals will share their experiences and tips on dealing with the crisis, in particular regarding festivals and markets, new releases and premiers, and access to finance.
- MEDIA Meet Tech Conference. In cooperation with NEXT, the most innovative section of the Cannes Film Market, MEDIA will explore the ways to link the most recent technological developments with the audiovisual industry. On 24th June at 11am Irish time, this conference will bring together European start-ups, including accelerators, financiers and venture capitalists.
- Bridging the Dragon in partnership with MDF Cannes will host a two-day programme with a focus n China including one-to-one meetings on Tuesady 23rd June and panel discussions on Wednesday 24th June. Register by Friday 19th June.
Speed meetings – Meet your MEDIA buddies!
In order to foster collaboration across MEDIA supported projects, the European Commission has organised speed meetings among 130 MEDIA beneficiaries for them to discuss projects and cooperations in which they are interested.
MEDIA-supported films in the Cannes official selection 2020
Although this year the films and the stars will not have the usual visibility, we were happy to see some of the MEDIA-supported titles among the official selection published by the festival.
- Druk (Another Round) by Thomas Vinterberg is a Danish production that received €60,000 of MEDIA funding for its development.
- Sweat by Magnus Von Horn (Sweden) was developed with €40,000 of MEDIA funding.
- Enfant Terrible by Oskar Roehler (Germany) was supported by MEDIA also in its development phase with €40,000.
- Un Trioumphe (The Big Hit) by Emmanuel Courcol is a French film developed with €60,000 of MEDIA support.
- Flee by Jonas Poher Rasmussen (Denmark) was supported by MEDIA under the TV Programming scheme with €300,000.