Current and recent Irish film, TV, documentary and animation projects funded by MEDIA
projects to watch out for in 2018 / 2019
- SEA FEVER | Feature Film | Fantastic Films. A supernatural thriller written and directed by Neasa Hardiman and produced by Fantastic Films who received Single Project Development funding for Sea Fever in 2014. Sea Fever won Cannes Frontières 2018 Post-production award. Status: In Post Production.
- VIVARIUM | Feature Film | Fantastic Films. A science fiction feature starring Imogen Poots and Jesse Eisenberg directed by Lorcan Finnegan (Without Name). Status: Wrapped and in Post Production.
- THE FAVOURITE | Feature Film | Element Pictures. A period feature directed by Academy Award® nominee Yorgos Lanthimos (The Lobster; The Killing of a Sacred Deer) based on a screenplay by Deborah Davis and Tony McNamara. Opens in cinemas in January 2019. Have a look at the trailer below.
- METAL HEART | Treasure Entertainment. This project received Slate Funding in 2015. Status: Produced. Debut screening at the 2018 Galway Film Fleadh.
- THE END OF ROMANCE | Feature Film | Black Sheep. Director and writer, Trish McAdam received the largest single funding award from the Irish Film Board this year for her feature about Maud Gonne. The project was awarded Single Project Development funding in 2015. Status: In Development.
- NEVER GROW OLD | Feature Film | Ripple World Pictures. This project received Single Project development in 2008. Never Grow Old is a western starring John Cusack. Status: Post Production.
- CIRCLE SQUARE | Animated TV Series | Kavaleer. TV Programming Funding. A Kavaleer, Brothers McLeod, Spider Eye production commissioned by CBEEBIES. Status: Available now.
- SCRIBE | Animated Web Series | Wiggleywoo. Scribe, an animated web series was awarded Single Project funding. Status: In Production.
- WOLFWALKERS | Animated Feature | Cartoon Saloon. Twice Oscar-nominated Irish director Tomm Moore (The Secret of Kells; Song Of The Sea) is gearing up his feature film, Wolfwalkers. This is the 4th animated feaure from Cartoon Saloon to be supported by Creative Europe Slate Development Funding. Status: In Development.
- SADIE SPARKS | Animated TV Series | Brown Bag. The series is a co-production between Brown Bag, Dublin studio and Parisian company Cyber Group Studios and aimed at kids ages six to 11. Sadie Sparks is set to launch on the Disney Channel in 2019.
becca's bunch | tv animation | tv programming funding
Becca’s Bunch started on 02 July on Nick Jr. and airs at 7am and 7pm everyday. A 52 X 11' pre-school comedy series about a little bird, Becca, who has a big heart. Becca's Bunch from JAM Media was included in their 2014 Slate Development Funding and then received TV Programming Support in 2016. JAM Media, a production, distribution and licensing company based in Dublin, scored a key deal with ABC KIDS in Australia for the preschool series Becca’s Bunch (52 x 11). Their Australian deal follows the recent sale of the Becca’s Bunch to Nickelodeon, which picked up exclusive broadcast rights in the US and pay TV rights for the rest of the world.
BLACK 47 | FASTNET FILMS | SLATE FUNDING opens 07 Sep 2018
Finding Joy | TV Series | Treasure Entertainment.
Finding Joy is a six-part comedy series written by Amy Huberman and directed by Kieron J Walsh. Joy who suffers a painful breakup and goes on to look for happiness in all the wrong places. The series is produced for RTÉ by Treasure Entertainment who received Slate Development funding for the series. RTÉ is co-producing with Acorn TV which it has done previously on dramas Striking Out and Acceptable Risk. Finding Joy is included in RTÉ's brand new slate of home-produced comedy, drama, documentary and lifestyle programming for autumn 2018.
2017 / 2018 Films, TV & Animation
the breadwinner | sales agent distribution support
Based on the best-selling children's novel by Deborah Ellis, The Breadwinner tells the story of Parvana, 11, who gives up her identity to provide for her family and try to save her father's life. When her father is arrested, Parvana finds the courage to look for him when everyone else has given up hope. Every day is a challenge as Parvana tries to bring home enough food and water to support her mother, sister and little brother. She meets a girl in disguise, Shauzia, and they form a bond that will give them the strength to endure the war.
The Breadwinner is a co-production between Aircraft Pictures Canada, Melusine Productions Luxembourg and Irish company Cartoon Saloon. The film had its world premiere at TIFF 2017. The film was directed by Nora Twomey with a screenplay by Anita Doron and Deborah Ellis. The Breadwinner was shown in selected cinemas in the US from 17 November and will have its Irish release on 24 May, 2018. The film is supported by Creative Europe's Sales Agent scheme.
THE KILLING OF A SACRED DEER | Element Pictures | Slate funding
The Killing of a Sacred Deer is directed by Yorgos Lanthimos who was also at the helm of another MEDIA supported project from Element Pictures - The Lobster. The film stars Colin Farrell, Nicole Kidman, Barry Keoghan, and Alicia Silverstone in a very dark mesmerizing thriller. 'Like the Greek myth that inspired the film, The Killing of a Sacred Deer feels powerful enough to be timeless,' writes Ebert Voices in a rave review out of Toronto Film Festival. The Killing of a Sacred Deer was joint winner of Best Screenplay at Cannes Film Festival 2017. The film was released in Ireland and the UK on 03 November, 2017.
THE FARTHEST DOCUMENTARY | SLATE FUNDING
The Farthest, written and directed by Emer Reynolds was produced by Crossing The Line Productions, is a documentary which was included in a successful MEDIA Slate Development application in 2014. This powerful and cinematic feature documentary celebrates the magnificent machines, and the men and women who built them.
The Farthest won the Audience Award at the Dublin International Film Festival and was one of three Irish films selected for the 2017 Tribeca Film Festival. With beautiful cinematography by Kate McCullough and produced by Clare Strong and John Murray, the film has garnered rave reviews at home and abroad. Other awards include the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine 2018 Communication Award for Best Film/Radio/TV.
The documentary feature has also been nominated for two Emmys: Outstanding Science & Technology Documentary and Outstanding Lighting Direction and Scenic Design. DOP was Kate McCullough with Production Design by Joe Fallover.
school life documentary | Single project
School Life (formerly In Loco Parentis) is a documentary directed by Neasa Ní Chianán and David Rane for Soilsiú Teoranta. This observational documentary follows a year in the lives of two inspirational teachers in the only primary-age boarding school in Ireland. Headfort in Meath, a school not unlike Hogwarts with its 18th century buildings, secret doors and magical woodlands has been home to John and Amanda Leyden for 46 years.
The documentary received Creative Europe MEDIA Single Project development funding in 2014. 'We were successful in getting some Creative Europe development funding and this saw us through our first year of filming. From this material we were able to put together some assemblies of different sections of the school, which helped IFB and RTE to commit beyond development,' Neasa Ní Chianáin told IFTN earlier this year.
School Life was a hit at this year's Dublin International Film Festival and is getting rave reviews here and abroad. School Life was selected for Hot Docs Canadian International Documentary Festival Special Presentations Program and was awarded the Special Jury Prize at San Francisco International Film Festival 05-19 April, 2017. On June 12, it had its UK premiere at Sheffield Documentary Festival. It's now available to stream on Vimeo.
acceptable risk tv series | rte1 | slate funding
Set in Dublin and Montreal, the story opens with a multinational executive being found shot and dumped in the middle of Montreal while on a business trip. His wife Sarah Manning (Elaine Cassidy) is devastated by the death of her husband. Investigating Detective Sergeant, Emer Byrne (Angeline Ball), is convinced it's not a straightforward case and that Sarah is not as innocent as she seems.
Acceptable Risk is produced for RTÉ by James Mitchell of Soho Moon Pictures (Croupier) and by Siobhán Bourke and Kathryn Lennon of Saffron Pictures (Whistleblower) and is co-production with Canadian producer Facet4.
puffin rock | animated tv series | slate funding
Puffin Rock from Cartoon Saloon was developed in its early stages with the help of MEDIA Slate Funding. Narrated by Chris O'Dowd, Puffin Rock is a pre‐school animated TV show for 2–5‐year‐olds set on a beautiful island off the coast of Ireland. Nature and wildlife are central to the stories and visual style of the show, giving it a unique look and feel.
Puffin Rock premiered on RTE JR in January 2015 and Nick JR in May 2015. It got its worldwide release on Netflix in September 2015. You can watch Puffin Rock on RTE Player. The show was been nominated for an International Emmy Kids Award on 16 October 2017. The International Emmy Kids Awards were announced by the International Academy of Television Arts & Sciences at a press conference at MIPCOM with nominees from 16 countries.
Éire Fhiáin – An Cósta Thiar [Ireland's Wild Coast] | TV series | SLate funding
The two-part nature documentary, Éire Fhiáin – An Cósta Thiar, aired in March, 2018 on TG4. A viusal feast exploring Galway, Donegal and the Connemara Islands, Éire Fhiáin – An Cósta Thiar is a Crossing The Line production for TG4. The series takes you on a wildlife journey across one of the most spectacular coastlines in the world that encompasses Ireland's most striking wild environments.
Ireland's Wild Coast won Best Natural History Film at the Grierson Awards - the UK’s most prestigious documentary prizes, beating the BBC’s Planet Earth 2 and a host of the finest wildlife films of the year. The documentary sereis has also been nominated for nominated for two News and Documentary Emmys alonside another Crossing the Line documentary, The Farthest. Emmy nominations are for Outstanding Nature Documentary and Outstanding Cinematography - Documentary. The cinematographers are John Murray and Domenico Pontillo.
Contact us if you have a project you think is eligible for any of the Funding Schemes mentioned above. We are here to help!