MEDIA Film News February 2024
News about European films, supported by the EU funding, showing in independent cinemas and cinema clubs that are part of the Europa Cinemas network. Includes news from EU initiatives such as Eurimages Cinema Fund, European Film Promotion, the European Film Awards, European Cinema Night, and the LUX Audience Award.
The Irish members of Europa Cinemas include:
The Irish Film Institute Dublin will host free screenings of four of the films nominated for the LUX Audience Award 2024 this February. The LUX Audience Award is presented every year by the European Parliament and the European Film Academy, in partnership with the European Commission and Europa Cinemas. The award celebrates European cinema and its aim is to raise awareness of Europe’s social, political and cultural issues.
Tickets are free of charge and can be obtained in person at IFI or by calling box office at 01-6793477.
- Saturday 10th February, 12 noon, 20,000 Species of Bees
- Sunday 11th February, 12 noon, Fallen Leaves
- Saturday 17th February and Sunday 25th February, On the Adamant
- Sunday 18th February, 12 noon, Smoke Sauna Sisterhood
You can rate the films on the LUX Audience website by 14th April 2024. You will be in with the chance to win a range of prizes. They include a trip to the European Parliament to attend the LUX Award Ceremony on 16th April 2024 and meet some of the film-makers.
The Promised Land, Irish Film Institute, Dublin
The Promised Land (Bastarden) by Nikolaj Arcel won three European Film Awards for Best Cinematography, Best Actor for Mads Mikkelsen, and Best Costume Design for Kiki Ilander in 2023.
In 18th century Denmark, Captain Ludvig Kahlen (Mads Mikkelsen), an impoverished war hero sets out to claim and farm a piece of land and build a colony in the name of the King. But the area is under the rule of Frederik De Schinkel, a ruthless nobleman who sees the Captain as a threat to his power. Struggling against the elements and local brigands, Kahlen is joined by a couple who have fled the clutches of De Schinkel. As this group of misfits begins to build a small community, De Schinkel swears vengeance.
There will be Open Captioned screenings at the IFI at 1pm on Friday 16th February, 8.30pm on Wednesday 21st February.
Anatomy of a Fall, Triskel Cork, Lighthouse Dublin, Pálás Galway, IFIatHome
The French film, Anatomy of a Fall, won five awards at the European Film Awards 2023: Best European Film; Best Director for Justine Triet; Best Actress award for Sandra Hüller; Best Screenwriter for Justine Triet & Arthur Harari; Best Editing for Laurent Sénéchal; and the University Film Award.
'Justine Triet delivers a masterful, multi-layered and suspenseful film about a couple and the judicialization of their private lives, carried by the exceptional Sandra Hüller,' writes Fabien Lemercier in his review for Cineuropa.
Sandra (Sandra Hüller), a German writer, her French husband Samuel, and their eleven-year-old son Daniel live a secluded life in a remote town in the French Alps. When Samuel is found dead in the snow below their chalet, the police question whether he committed suicide or was killed.
MyCinema.ie is an EU-supported platform, operated by access>CINEMA Ireland, on which you can you can rent a curated selection of the best world cinema and live events on demand. For My French Film Festival they offer a selection of French language cinema, including features and free short films.
An eclectic mix of ten feature films are available to rent throughout the festival. The programme includes comedies such as The Green Perfume and Super Drunk, powerful dramas such as Junkyard Dog and The Beast in the Jungle, and a selection of documentaries including Polaris and the animated No Dogs or Italians Allowed. This year’s selection also includes a 1988 classic from the late filmmaker Agnes Varda, Jane B. for Agnes V. which is a film portrait of the late Jane Birkin. All feature films are available to rent at a price of €4.99 per film.
The selection of shorts includes a variety of animated and live action films, as well as family-friendly titles such as Two Friends and Atomic Chicken. All the shorts are available to watch free of charge.
Viewers can vote for their favourite films on MyFrenchFilmFestival.com. The Audience Awards for feature film and short film will be announced after the festival.
MEDIA Films at Berlinale, 15 - 25 February
A selection of some of the films supported by Creative Europe MEDIA and EU funding that will screen at the 74th edition of the Berlinale which runs from 15th to the 25th February.
- ANOTHER END by Piero Messina (Italy, France and the United Kingdom). MEDIA support for content development Slate Funding.
- ARCHITECTON by Victor Kossakovsky (Germany, France and the United States). MEDIA support for content development Slate Funding.
- THE DEVIL'S BATH by Veronika Franz and Severin Fiala (Austria and Germany). MEDIA support for distribution and content development Slate Funding.
- TREASURE by Julia von Heinz (Germany and France). MEDIA support for content development Slate Funding.
- ANDREA GETS A DIVORCE by Josef Hader (Austria). MEDIA distribution support.
- BRIEF HISTORY OF A FAMILY by Lin Jianjie (China, France, Denmark and Qatar). MEDIA support from international co-production funds.
- CU LI NEVER CRIES by Lân Phạm Ngọc (Vietnam, Philippines, France, Norway and Singapore). MEDIA support from international co-production funds.
- I'M NOT EVERYTHING I WANT TO BE by Klára Tasovská (Czech Republic, Slovakia and Austria). MEDIA support for content development Slate Funding.
- NO OTHER LAND by Basel Adra, Hamdan Ballal, Yuval Abraham and Rachel Szor (Norway and Palestine). MEDIA support from international co-production funds.
- RISING UP AT NIGHT by Nelson Makengo (Democratic Republic of the Congo, Belgium, Germany, Burkina Faso and Qatar). MEDIA support from international co-production funds.
- MARIA'S SILENCE by Dāvis Sīmanis (Latvia and Lithuania). MEDIA support for content development Slate Funding.
- REAS by Lola Arias (Argentina, Germany and Switzerland). MEDIA support from international co-production funds.
- OASIS OF NOW by Chee Sum Chia (Malaysia, Singapore and France). MEDIA support from international co-production funds.
- FOX AND HARE SAVE THE FOREST by Mascha Halberstad (Netherlands, Belgium and Luxembourg). MEDIA support for content development Slate Funding.