MEDIA Film News September 2023
MEDIA and EU supported films screening this month across Ireland in cinemas and online.
We also highlight films showing in independent cinemas and cinema clubs that are part of the Europa Cinemas network as well as films supported by other Creative Europe and EU initiatives such as Eurimages Cinema Fund, European Film Promotion, the European Film Awards, European Cinema Night and the LUX Audience Award. The Irish members of Europa Cinemas include:
- IFI, Dublin
- Triskel Arts Centre, Cork
- Lighthouse Cinema, Dublin
- Palás, Galway
- Access Cinema Network of regional cinema clubs
- Volta VOD online
- MyCinema.ie is an EU-supported platform, operated by access>CINEMA Ireland, on which you can you can rent a curated selection of the best world cinema & live events on demand.
LUX Audience Award Nominations for 2024
On 1st September, the 5 films nominated for the 2024 LUX Audience Award were announced at the Venice International Film Festival (Biennale).
- 20,000 SPECIES OF BEES by Estibaliz Urresola Solaguren
- FALLEN LEAVES by Aki Kaurismäki
- ON THE ADAMANT by Nicolas Philibert
- SMOKE SAUNA SISTERHOOD by Anna Hints
- THE TEACHERS’ LOUNGE by Ilker Çatak
Have your say and decide who will win the LUX Audience Award! Rate the 5 films here by March 2024.
When you vote you are in with a chance to win a range of exciting prices, including a trip to the European Parliament to attend the LUX Award Ceremony and meet directors and film crews of the nominees.
Are you a documentary die-hard? Enjoy all that's in store at this year's IFI Doc Fest with their multi-film bundles:
- 3 films for €30
- 5 films for €50
- full 5-day festival pass for €110 (excluding opening night gala)
- View the IFI Documentary Festival brochure.
- Available in-person or over the phone on (01) 679 347
Read more about the IFI Documentary Festival here.
A film by Inna Sahakyan, and Armenia's submission to the 95th Academy Awards- Best International Film. At only 14 years old, Aurora lost everything during the horror of the Armenian genocide. Four years later, through luck and extraordinary courage, she escaped to New York, where her story became a media sensation. Starring as herself in Auction of Souls, an early Hollywood blockbuster, Aurora became the face of one of the largest charity campaigns in American history. With a blend of vivid animation, interviews with Aurora herself, and 18 minutes of surviving footage from her lost silent epic, Aurora's Sunrise revives a forgotten story of survival.
Hidden Assets | Starts Sunday 3rd Sep on RTÉ One and RTÉ Player
The second series of Hidden Assets (available with audio description) begins on Sunday 3rd Sept on RTÉ One at 9.30pm and is also available on the RTÉ player here.
Police forces from Limerick and Antwerp team up once again - this time to investigate a coordinated cyber-attack, conspiracy, and corruption.
Season 2 of Hidden Assets was supported by MEDIA funding for TV & Online content awarded to Saffron Pictures.
RTÉ has created new character descriptions for people who are blind or vision impaired ahead of series two of Hidden Assets.
The true story of Irishwoman Maureen Kearney (Isabelle Huppert), head trade union representative of a French multinational nuclear powerhouse who turns whistle-blower. Based on the book 'La Syndicaliste' by investigative journalist Caroline Michel-Aguirre, the film tells the story of how Kearney takes on a nuclear company and makes some very powerful enemies in the process. LA SYNDICALISTE is distributed by access>CINEMA in Ireland with Creative Europe MEDIA support.
9-year-old Benni’s untamed energy has driven everyone around her to despair. After being moved from home to home, Benni only wants one thing: to be back with her own mother. When child protection services bring in anger management trainer Micha to work with Benni, there is suddenly a seed of hope that things could finally change for the better. But will Micha be able to succeed where all others have given up?
MyCinema.ie is an EU-supported platform, operated by access>CINEMA Ireland, on which you can you can rent a curated selection of the best world cinema & live events on demand.
European Film Awards Nominations for 2023
The European Film Academy has made their Film Selection part 1 with 19 productions chosen by the European Film Academy Board – consulted by a diverse range of invited European experts – as the first part of the Academy’s Feature Film Selection 2023. The European Film Awards, honouring the greatest achievements in European cinema, will be presented on 9th December 2023 in Berlin.
- 20,000 Species of Bees Estibaliz Urresola Solaguren (Spain)
- Afire Christian Petzold (Germany)
- Anatomy of a Fall Justine Triet (France)
- Behind the Haystacks Asimina Proedrou (Greece/Germany)
- Blackbird Blackbird Blackberry Elene Naveriani (Switzerland/Georgia)
- Close Your Eyes Víctor Erice (Spain/Argentina)
- Fallen Leaves Aki Kaurismäki (Finland/Germany)Femme [+] - Sam H Freeman, Ng Choon Ping (UK)
- Firebrand Karim Aïnouz (UK)
- How To Have Sex Molly Manning Walker (UK/Greece)
- Kidnapped Marco Bellocchio (Italy/France/Germany)
- La Chimera Alice Rohrwacher (Italy/France/Switzerland)
- Safe Place Juraj Lerotic (Croatia/Slovenia)
- Slow Marija Kavtaradze (Lithuania/Spain)
- The Animal Kingdom Thomas Cailley (France)
- The Goldman Case Cédric Kahn (France)
- The Happiest Man in the World Teona Strugar Mitevska (North Macedonia/Bosnia-Herzegovina/Belgium/Slovenia/Croatia/Denmark)
- The Old Oak Ken Loach (UK/France/Belgium)
- The Teachers' Lounge Ilker Çatak (Germany)
The European Film Awards 2023 Documentary selection features 14 powerful feature-length documentary films. A committee consisting of a diverse range of invited European experts has chosen 14 productions that have been recommended for nomination for the European Film Awards 2023.
- Apolonia, Apolonia Lea Glob (Denmark/Poland)
- Between Revolutions Vlad Petri (Romania/Croatia)
- Four Daughters Kaouther Ben Hania (France/Tunisia/Germany/Saudi Arabia)
- In The Rearview Maciek Hamela (Poland/France/Ukraine)
- Light Falls Vertical Efthymia Zymvragaki (Spain/Germany/Italy/Netherlands)
- Motherland Hanna Badziaka, Alexander Mihalkovich (Sweden/Ukraine/Norway)
- On the Adamant Nicolas Philibert (France/Japan)
- Orlando, My Political Biography Paul B Preciado (France)
- Our Body Claire Simon (France)
- Paradise Alexander Abaturov (France/Switzerland)
- Smoke Sauna Sisterhood Anna Hints (Estonia/France/Iceland)
- The Hearing Lisa Gerig (Switzerland)
- We Will Not Fade Away Alisa Kovalenko (Ukraine/France/Poland)
- Who I Am Not Tunde Skovran (Romania/Canada/Germany)
Lukas Dhont talked to the European Film Academy about his process behind CLOSE, nominated for European Film, Director, Screenwriter and Actor 2022 at the last European Film Awards. You can watch interviews with European film-makers on the European Film Academy YouTube channel.
For one night only on Monday 25th September, the latest work by acclaimed Spanish director Pedro Almodóvar – a short film entitled A STRANGE WAY OF LIFE – will screen in cinemas across Ireland and the UK. To mark this event, Triskel Arts Centre will screen the film as well as a selection of the director’s previous films.
TALK TO HER, BAD EDUCATION and VOLVER will screen from 24th to 27th September - check the Triskel Arts Centre website here for details.